19 craving stoppers
1. When you're challenged by a strong urge to smoke, take a few deep breaths and remember your determination to be free.
2. Think of your most important reason for wanting to stop. Say it out loud in front of the mirror.
3. Do not start feeling sorry for yourself. It's the people who are still smoking who should be pitied. You were smart enough to follow a program and stop smoking.
4. Immediately turn your attention to something else. Remember that even the most intense craving lasts only a few minutes -- 5 or 10 at the most. The urge will pass whether you smoke a cigarette or not.
5. Do something with your hands. Knit. Doodle. Play with coins. Write a letter.
6. Be good to yourself in every possible way. Even indulge yourself a little. Enjoy a special treat on weekends (a good meal, a show, etc.) with the money you've saved.
7. Frequent places where you don't smoke rather than places where you do.
8. Curb use of alcohol and caffeine.
9. Seek the company of nonsmokers.
10. Concern yourself only with today--tomorrow will take care of itself. Get through today without smoking
11. Eat something! Low calorie snack, veggies, chew fresh ginger. Bite into a clove.
12. Talk to yourself! When the urge comes, say: "Slow down. You're doing great. You can keep going."
13. Distract yourself! Whistle! Sing! Brush your teeth! Work on a hobby! Take a shower.
14. Analyze! Do you think you need a cigarette as a reward to relieve boredom, or after an extended period of concentration? Find another way to take a break.
15. Move! Get up and walk around. Take a drink of water.
16. Practice relaxation exercises. Stretch, yawn, do deep knee bends, touch your toes, shrug your shoulders.
17. Make believe! Pretend you're smoking a cigarette. It's a very helpful breathing exercise.
18. Breathe! In and out, as if you actually had a lighted cigarette in your mouth. You will find that you are actually sighing!
19. Think of quitting as an act of love - for those you care about. It's also a gift to yourself.
comments are closed